Flats with no security measures in place are five times more likely to be burgled than those with simple security measures. Good window locks and strong deadlocks can make a big difference. Here are a few tips to keep your flat safe:
- Lock your doors and windows every time you leave the house, even if you aren't far away.
- Hide all keys, including car keys, out of sight and away from the letterbox and windows (remember a device could be used to hook keys through an opening)
- Install a visual burglar alarm (as part of a suite of prevention measures - a burglar alarm on its own will not prevent entry to your home)
- Get a trusted neighbour to keep an eye on your property
- Leave radios or lights in your house on a timer to make the property appear occupied
- Mark your property with postcode and house number and register your property for free with Immobilise.
- Consider joining or forming a Neighbourhood Watch scheme.
- Remove valuables from view of ground floor windows.
- Store any high value items (i.e. jewellery, passports) in a properly secured safe
Call 101 to report a burglary or dial 999 in an emergency, for example, if the burglar is still in your home. You can find more information here.